I love Thanksgiving. I mean, what other holiday can you think of that actually encourages new and sometimes dangerous ways to cook a huge bird? I also love this time of year so that I can reflect and give thanks to God for surrounding me with countless blessings.
Each year at Southland we provide several opportunities around the Thanksgiving holiday where we can serve others in our community. And in true Southland fashion, those opportunities were filled almost instantly. However, there are hundreds of things we can do on a daily basis that can make someone's day a little brighter. Take a moment to look at some of these ideas and maybe challenge yourself to do one or ten during this holiday season.
- Put change in a vending machine.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Do a chore for someone without them knowing.
- Return someone’s cart to the store.
- Give candy to your bank teller.
- Bake cookies for First Responders.
- Donate new or gently used items to Helping Through Him.
- Leave a letter in a library book.
- Leave encouraging notes around town.
- Call your grandparents and ask them about their childhood.
- Pick up litter.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line.
- Compliment a friend.
- Wash someone’s car.
- Write a thank you note for your mail carrier.
- Bake dessert for a neighbor
- Walk dogs at the animal shelter.
- Check in on an elderly neighbor.
- Send a thank you note to a service member.
- Bury treasure at the playground.
- Set the table for dinner.
- Leave bubbles on someone’s doorstep.
- Put money on a stranger’s layaway bill.
- Tell someone why they are special to you.