Thursday
Sep 2nd, 2021
The Extra Mile: Gratitude Over Complaining
By: Nathan Head
1 minute read 

Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing (NIV)

In The Extra Mile series we are in right now, we’re putting the spotlight on some godly attributes that make us people who go above and beyond—hence the name, The Extra Mile. This week, we’re talking about the value of gratitude over complaining. Maybe Lou Holtz said it best when he said, “Never tell your problems to anyone… 20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” Hopefully that’s not true for you, but complaining rarely ever improves anything.

If you want to hear me complain, just put me in slow traffic. I don’t have special knowledge about Hell, but if it’s anything like rush hour in Nashville (which is every hour by the way), then I want no part. We all have that list of things that make us crazy. It’s human nature to express our discontent, and yet the Bible calls us to a different way.

Today’s verse is followed by a “so that.” Paul, who penned this, is calling Jesus’ followers to stand out by what they won’t do. He goes on to say that when we refuse to complain and argue, we will stand out like stars in the universe. I didn’t live when he wrote those words, but they are as relevant as ever. Can you imagine going through the last year, with all we’ve experienced, and having done so without complaining or arguing?!

Maybe the most spiritual thing we can do today, tomorrow, and the next is to refuse to complain. When we choose to express gratitude instead of complaining, we are part of doing God’s work here on Earth. Shining like stars for Jesus is extra-mile living, and 100% of the people around us are blessed when we do that.

Challenge: Refuse to complain for 24 hours. Bring friends or your spouse into your challenge. Try and track any complaints that slip out, and report out on Friday.

© 2021 Southland Christian Church All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy